Urinary Frequency

This topic contains 36 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  herewithyou 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

jko12
    Participant

Hi Ladies!
    Question for you with cystoceles. So, I feel like as my rectocele has improved, I have felt more symptoms of cystcele. My guess is that it’s because the rectocele is not supporting as much the cystocele. I don’t know. Anyhow, there are periods I go through when I feel like I have to pee more frequently. Do you guys have that experience? And then sometimes I don’t have that sensation. This morning my pee was very cloudy, so going to get checked for UTI on Thursday just in case. But it is clear now so wondering if the increased sensitivity to peeing is prolapse related.

I mean, if it’s not one thing it’s another. LOL.

39 y/o. 17 months PP. Moderate prolapse - rectocele, cystocele and uteran after birth of my first. Currently pregnant with my second. Diligently doing PF exercises and focusing on minimizing symptoms. NJ, USA.

bandysh
    Participant

Omgg same here! Well mines not rectocele, but I had a pretty low cervix. But I swear the higher my cervix gets (I think uterine prolapse is healing).. the more my bladder bugs me! It’s either that or where the baby is getting heavier, I’m not sure. It seems as it has lifted and my bladder isn’t laying against my cervix I feel more the yucky not right feelings. I did have some urinary frequency and it was associated with my pelvic floor being in a huge spasm from kegeling 24/7. It went away thank goodness with heat and release. I would definitively get checked for UTI just in case. We are more prone for them as our bladders do not empty as complete. You can get those uti kits from the drug store, I think anyway. I’m sure prolapse itself can cause urgency though I’ve heard. & your right it’s like when one symptom goes another one comes 😖😖😖.!

Now 14 months postpartum and 12 months post prolapse. Slight cystocele/low cervix after jogging 6 weeks postpartum. Severe heaviness/dragging/nerve pain for first 6 months, now feeling good thanks to physio. Now suffer from mostly pelvic floor dysfunction. Still have trouble standing in one place for several hours at work & sex also brings symptoms. Working hard on increasing exercise intensity slowly but surely in order to get more of my active life back.

Green34
    Participant

My feeling of having a UTI was definitely related. My pelvic floor had hypertone, which is what led to an increase in the sensation of having to go when I didn’t have to. I thought I had a UTI too, but I really did not. After I got rid of most of the hypertone I generally just have a strange sensation in my bladder as the cystocele drops lower (usually around my period, especially on day two). I am positive it is from the cystocele, as when I had a bit more support in the form of a diva cup the feeling went away. I’m month 5 postpartum right now, though, so I am hoping I get asymptomatic the further out I get. I just wanted to let you know, though, the feeling is not just “in your head” as some people tried to tell me it was.

Second baby born early September 2016. Grade two cystocele, rectocele, and uterine prolapse. Now mostly asymptomatic, but had a difficult first nine months postpartum. Things have gotten much better. Started from the bottom now we're here! : ) 35, Southern California.

jko12
    Participant

Green34 and Bandy- thank you! I actually think I need to work on release and relaxation because I’ve been doing over drive on strengthening and think that may contribute. Green34, so interesting you mention your period and feeling more stable with diva cup because I actually feel more stable with tampon. It’s like a mini pessary. My PT said it actually does provide some support. I may just start wearing those as opposed to pessary which can be hit or miss.

What helped you guys with relaxation? I saw heat. What else?

39 y/o. 17 months PP. Moderate prolapse - rectocele, cystocele and uteran after birth of my first. Currently pregnant with my second. Diligently doing PF exercises and focusing on minimizing symptoms. NJ, USA.

bandysh
    Participant

Your welcome! Diva cup huh? I’ve never tried it but may. I actually just ordered one size down pessary because I love my pessary for about 20 min.. then the cramping starts and then I have to take it out. It gets way too uncomfortable. I just don’t quite understand why my grade 1-2 bladder prolapse causes so many symptoms. I can literally stand up push on my bladder and hold it there and feel 100% normal :/ ugh. I know women with grade 3 bladder that have 0 problems!!! Besides incontenince when jumping! Anyway sorry had to vent lol!

So as far as relaxation goes take a break from the kegels for a couple days or just slack off some until the urgency is gone. Then the biggest thing that helped me was a therawand. Not sure if you’ve read about it or have one but you do internal release and stretching with it.. works great. Laser works real well too but I know they are expensive. Another thing that helped me was reverse kegels (gently lying down), a position called prolapse relief: on all fours shoulders down butt stuck up in air, curve back toward floor (3/5 min), child’s pose: belly against your thighs, breathe into belly & feel pelvic floor lengthen.

I still struggle with hypertone so I do a combo of strengthening and release every day. My pt probably hates me because she’s had to take it so slow with strength increase or I start burning/spasm. Slowly but surely.

Quick questions.. what does it feel like when you all kegel standing up versus lying? Significantly harder? Can you get as good as a contraction? Can you all kegel while walking? I can’t kegel at all while walking not even a little.

Now 14 months postpartum and 12 months post prolapse. Slight cystocele/low cervix after jogging 6 weeks postpartum. Severe heaviness/dragging/nerve pain for first 6 months, now feeling good thanks to physio. Now suffer from mostly pelvic floor dysfunction. Still have trouble standing in one place for several hours at work & sex also brings symptoms. Working hard on increasing exercise intensity slowly but surely in order to get more of my active life back.

Green34
    Participant

I second bandysh’s recommendation of the wand. It gets at your obturator internus, which is primarily what I use it for. My PT does some manual release as well, as do I with my hands. The OI, though, is what causes most of my symptoms when it tightens. I actually took bandysh’s recommendation of a heating pad when I had hypertone and it helped me to relax, along with taking warm baths.

The Diva Cup isn’t always 100 percent comfortable, but I much prefer it to the odd bladder sensations and it’s mostly comfortable. The only thing is my uterus is a bit low, and the cup actually suctioned on to it once! Talk about feeling odd! I am now careful about how I insert it. But yes, it works as something of a pessary with just a bit more support than a tampon. for some reason I’m adverse to a pessary. It just makes me feel so broken mentally, so I prefer the options I used before I got prolapse.

As for kegaling, my strength is between a 3-4 on a 5 scale. I prefer to kegal standing up as I feel more in control and able to observe my strength. When I lie down I can feel it much less. I am much better with longer holds. Shorter holds sometimes feel a bit odd. I absolutely cannot walk while kegaling. I just can’t isolate the muscle!

Second baby born early September 2016. Grade two cystocele, rectocele, and uterine prolapse. Now mostly asymptomatic, but had a difficult first nine months postpartum. Things have gotten much better. Started from the bottom now we're here! : ) 35, Southern California.

jko12
    Participant

I may look into the wand. I have PT on Monday so will ask her about it. Can I just buy one? I don’t even know where those muscles are that you guys are referring to (I mean, I know they’re in my pelvic floor, but I don’t know specifically which are which). And by release, do you mean applying a bit of pressure in a specific spot and then waiting for it to release (like a massage)?

As for kegaling standing up… so, I’ve been doing a lot of training on using my transverse-abdominals in conjunction with kegal contraction. We’ve worked up to more complex exercises. The idea is to train them to work together more automatically. I can tell that it’s beginning to get trained. I do them both standing and laying down. Today, while walking quickly to the train, I could feel my TAs pull in and gentle kegal pull up. It’s funny how I pay attention now…like did that used to happen automatically anyway and I never noticed? Who knows. So, I guess my answer is yes, I can do them standing and walking. But I don’t walk and try to do squeeze-release-squeeze-release because I think (and maybe I’m wrong) when you walk your muscles naturally contract to some degree to support. Bandy – do you work on incorporating TAs in your exercise?

Green – great work on being at a 3-4 in strength. Last time I went to doctor I was still a two. I could hardly believe it. I was thinking, “really?? After all this exercise? Only a 2?” I was told by PT that most women are at a 2 (it’s kind of the average). I try to look at the positive and tell myself there’s still room to improve, but man, what do I have to do to move my numbers up? LOL.

Wish we could meet for a get together! Hang in there ladies…or, that may not be the best choice of words for prolapse. How about…Hold tight, ladies! 🙂

jko12
    Participant

Ugh, having a yucky prolapse day. Started off wearing a tampon for some minimal support, took it out, went without anything, then put in pessary, took it out cause it was bugging me, and now am without anything and feel having more pee frequency. I think I also get kind of anxious when I walk around without pessary like I’m doing damage and stuff is just going to start sagging…it’s like a psychological thing. Psychologically, I feel more confident with pessary. Physically, it’s not always comfortable. Sigh.

Having an “I’m sick of this!” day. And it’s my 2-year anniversary.

bandysh
    Participant

Jko, yep you can just buy wand on Amazon.. it’s best to get pt to show you because I didn’t quite understand until mine did but that’s all you do is just apply pressure to the spot that is tender until you feel the muscle release and pain go away. It helps a lot with hypertone for sure.

So I do TA incorporation.. I’m getting better but it’s still hard for me. Like standing up honestly I can squeeze buts super hard lately for some reason .. I’m like I thought this was suppose to get easier. & while walking I have 0 contraction. I wonder sometimes if I don’t have a torn muscle of some sort. Idk.

I think the strength scale is a little bit by who’s judging. My pt said you have to actually put your finger to one side to feel how hard the muscle is working. She said I’m at like a 3.5… but idk maybe lying I am but standing it’s like a 0-1 lol!

I wish we could meet too! Where do you live again jko? I know you said but I forgot. I think I would feel better if I just had someone close to me that was going through the same thing.. instead of my crossfit and snowboarding coworkers lol! Love them though, it’s just hard. & having to explain things to people I’m just like omgg I can’t explain again. Yucky.

I’m sorry your having a bum day today :(. I hope things get better for you asap! I feel you on the pessary thing it’s like it helps in some ways but then yuck. I hope my new size does a bit better.

I feel you on the sick of it thing. I just want to feel good all the time. Just normal activities feeling good all the time would be a win for me! I have really good days (mostly when I’m home) and then bam symptoms again and makes me feel down (mostly at work). I do feel like the stronger I get the better things are getting but gosh the pelvic floor ache is so annoying. Do you get that? If I slack on my exercises I feel much more symptomatic.

DaDi
    Participant

Hi all,

U thought I’d chip in on a few points. First, about the urinary frequency-my physio says that normally the bladder can store about 500-600ml (20iz) and by that point you should feel the urge to pee. She made me measure and keep a record for two days and guess what-at 300 ml I need to pee really badly! She says that this is because of the pelvic floor spasm/ hypertone, as the tightness (she compares it to a very stretched trampoline) irritates the bladder and so you have a more frequent urge.
    Then, on the hypertone and exercise-I think a lot has been written already, but also for me, my symptoms improve most when I don’t do exercise and relax and stretch. I am not yet doing reverse kegels and therawand release as right now I am undergoing an alternative treatment with an osteopath (think much of it is release anyway), but my logic is that if you do strength exercises (any type of normal kegels) while having hypertone it is counterproductive as you just irritate the muscles further. In my case, my strenght is 5 already but this is part of the problem as it came at the cost of extreme spasm. But I am no physio :)))

9months pp. Improved from stage 2 bladder and uterine prolapse to stage 1, mainly due to osteopathy and stopping with breastfeeding. Cautiously optimistic at this stage.

jko12
    Participant

Thanks, guys. Good input. Such a conundrum because I’m told I can benefit from getting my muscles stronger…but too much and it seems I throw myself into hypertone around my bladder and feel like i have to pee. LOL. Awesome situation to be in. Today feels better. Still going to doctor this afternoon (may also ask him about other pessaries while there), but going to take your advice and ease off a bit. or at least focus on balancing my strengthening exercises with relaxation and release exercises, as well. But, honestly, I already feel like this takes a lot of time! Sometimes I think, “i mean, I should have the pelvic floor of a goddess right now with all the work I’m doing on it!” But I don’t. It’s amazing how much I took for granted my functioning floor when I was pre-baby.

herewithyou
    Participant

I am wondering can the diva be used as a pessary even when not menstruating? I have never tried it and want to give it a try. Does it come in sizes? Thanks for any input, ladies. I dont’ want a pessary as I don’t need one every day, I don’t like sticking in a dry tampon, and I would love to have a mini pessary option for days when I feel the low dragging feeling.

Prolapsed after last baby 3 years ago. Arvigo , Walking outdoors, epsom salt baths, proper rest, attention to alignment, movement, nutrition, supplements, seem to keep me the most comfortable. My symptoms come and go in type/ intensity with my hormones and my level of stress. Varied symptom base. In my 40's. Still BF. It has been a journey, in every way, and I'm getting better with God's help. USA

jko12
    Participant

Went to the doctor. No urinary tract infection. He examined me again…told me my uterus and bladder were a “1” and the rectocele a “3”. The new woman doctor I went to in the city said my rectocele was a “1” and uterus and bladder were “2”. He said to me, “It really doesn’t matter what number I give or anyone gives…what matters is if you are symptomatic.” Which…honestly, is true. He also reminded me that numbers can shift based on activity, if you were on your feet all day, etc. It’s all so subjective, isn’t it? He told me my strength was at a “3”, but that’s also subjective. Bottom line: don’t get caught up in numbers, just focus on your symptoms. We did discuss all the other pessaries. Sounds like ring with support is really the best option. Cube he had seen cause severe ulcerations and wouldn’t give it so someone with tissue like me. The next one is Gellhorn pessary, but it’s really hard to get in and out because it suctions on to uterus. The donut he felt would be too bulky, especially given I was irritated by the ring. Anyhow…just not a lot of options for POP. I told him having POP really sucked. He replied, “Yah, but there are worse things out there. It’s more of an inconvenience.” I mean…I agree. But, to me an inconvenience is going poop and realizing there’s no toilet paper or arriving into Penn Station and realizing you left your wallet at home. I think it’s a little more than inconvenient. But, I do understand there are worse things out there. I’m starting to feel resigned that eventually I will need surgery. Bandy, trying to be like you and not think about it until two years. But, I think we may want another baby and I can’t imagine that’s going to make the POP better.

Anyhow…sigh.

bandysh
    Participant

More of an inconvience my butt.. like you said an inconvience to me would be something simple. This is life altering .. it affects quality of life. You can tell that was from a guy. Ugh .. I think if I do seek out urogyn I’m going for a woman, maybe the one that was in *** that you told me about, just because I think they would understand a bit better. My father in law said he was getting me back on a wakeboard this summer I was like :/, um no. Ha! He just doesn’t understand. My worst fear is going to a urogyn and then saying that it’s not bad enough for surgery I have to deal with it.. :/

It’s so true that numbers really do not matter. I’ve came to the point to where I never check.. & honestly am much more at ease about doing things because I’m not going to live the rest of my life in fear. Worst thing that could happen is I would need surgery, so oh well. I’m glad I’ve finally got to the not scared point, it’s took a year of being scared to move the wrong way. I’m still very careful of course, but not in an obsessed way.

I’m sorry about the pessary. I’m getting my new one in today or tomorrow so I’ll let you know how a change in size goes. Days like today I really don’t need it, but then others I feel like I need the support.

Anyway, hang in there. We’re gonna get through this one way or another and it’s going to be behind us 🙂

jko12
    Participant

THanks. Today is a draggy/tampony/irritated day. So I’m trying to be nice to myself. But I also went outside with my son and dog today for a little sunshine and fresh air since it’s not freezing. I don’t want to live in fear, and like you said, I guess the worst thing that could happen is I need surgery. And any fears beyond that, at this point, are just anxiety and hypothetical. So, go live my life! Leaving pessary out today to give my tissues a break.

Hey, has anyone tried the sponges for support? What’s the word on those?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.